Post your essay. Get expert feedback. For free.We're trying to help students improve their writing the hard way. Do you know students who want critical essay reviews from a professor of English Literature? Click like to share. Click here to sign up and post your own essay. We offer no paid services. All reviews are completely free.
The Impact Of Television On Children - With A Free Essay Review
PROMPT:Televison has brought great changes to the way many children spend their leisure time. While some of these changes have been beneficial, other have had a harmful effect. To what extent do you agree or disagree
Most children nowadays, watch television as part of their leisure time. It is found that watching television for young children has both its advantages and disadvantages. A child can learn quite a lot of useful things and entertain himself by watching television but he can also become addicted to watching television and take bad things from it.
Television offers programs which can learn the child good qualities that should be in him as he grows up. this includes educational programs and cartoons. A child can learn languages, math, to depend on himself, take actions, work harder, how to reach goals and others. For example, a cartoon I saw when I was young called captain Majid' is based on a football player named Majid where hes the captain of his team and he tries his best to get goals for his team. Other players pass the ball to him and he runs with the ball, not afraid of anyone, trusting himself and makes the right shot at the goal keeper of the other team which results in an extra goal for his team. I learned from this how to be confident in myself and how to always try hard until I reach my goal.
Television also can bring harmful effects to children. Children can learn bad words or to be violent. The child himself can also become addicted and this will prevent him from doing other important activities he should be doing. For Instance, a cartoon called tom and jerry, which I loved to watch when I was young, is very addictive, is based on a cat and mouse fight where the cat always tries to catch the mouse. In most cases the cat fails to do this, however. you learn violence from this, in confidence and inability to try to reach your goal.
In conclusion, Televison can lead to benefits or bad effects on children depending on hoe its used. Parents should restrict their children to see only programs that that can lead to better improvements in their children and their time spent on television, hoping that their children become good people who benefit their community and the world.
The introductory paragraph is a bit weak. The first sentence relates a fact that everyone already knows. The second sentence merely repeats the claim of the prompt. The third sentence articulates the argument of the essay as a whole, which is a good thing to do in the introduction, but note that you conclude that sentence with a claim that is rather vague (about the fact that "a child can ... take bad things from" television). You really ought to explain here what you think the negative aspects of watching television are. You can do this is a general way (television promotes laziness or violence) but not a vague way (television promotes "bad things").
In the second paragraph you use the word "learn" incorrectly as a synonym for "teach." My kid does that too. It's cute. But it's wrong. The first sentence of the second paragraph also refers vaguely to good qualities. While the word "this" of the next sentence seems to refer logically to these good qualities that "should be in" a child as he grows up, you refer in that second sentence to programs and cartoons, which are obviously not qualities that could conceivably "be in" the growing child. The rest of the paragraph, with its little anecdote about what you learned from the Capt. Majid cartoon is reasonable enough, though a little one-sided. While it may be true that you can learn valuable lessons from cartoons, that would only lead to the conclusion that children should watch such cartoons if it were also true that there is no other way (or no better way) to learn those valuable lessons.
Your paragraph on the negative impact of television is a bit underdeveloped. You note the possibility of addiction, but base your argument about this issue only on a personal anecdote. You note the possibility of learning to be violent from television, but again there is no significant evidence to support this claim. You cite the example of Tom and Jerry, which is a great example to cite because it brings back wonderful memories. I do recall that Tom and Jerry is a rather violent cartoon, but it's not realistically violent (the violence is highly stylized). When you say "you learn violence from this," you are making a claim that has often been made, but your way of articulating the claim is a bit too vague. Do you mean to suggest that some children who watch Tom and Jerry become violent, or more violent than they might otherwise have been? If you are not claiming that, it is difficult to know what you are claiming. But if you are claiming that, then you need to try to support that claim with reason and evidence.
Submitted by: MizaExpertWriter
There are no comments for this essay.
Television has now become an important part of our daily lives and if you are a kid, it’s going to be very hard for you to stop watching it. TV has many advantages and many parents also use TV as a substitute baby sitter to keep their loved ones busy watching their favorite cartoons or TV shows. A common question arises in minds of many people and that is what positive and negative impact of TV has and how watching TV affects your child.
If we talk about the positive points there are many, such as:-
- There are a lot of educational shows which air on TV. It is a proven fact that children learn better using audio-video method instead of the traditional teaching via books.
- Many research studies have shown that children who watch TV are less violent and perform well in tests and studies as compared to the ones who don’t watch TV.
- Children who watch educational and informative TV shows develop their brain skills faster and learn things easily as compared to the ones who don’t watch TV.
- The kids who are going to start their school life get better grades, value their studies when they reach high school and become less aggressive.
- TV is a great way to remove tiredness and fatigue. We all know kids love cartoons and according to studies, cartoons have a soothing and painkilling effect on children. It helps in removing all the tiredness and all the stress your kid is having from daily school work.
We know that there are both pros and cons of everything. We already have listed the positive points of TV and now we will share some negative points of TV with you.
- Children who lie under 2 years of age can’t get any benefit from watching TV shows. If they sit in front of TV, their time is only getting wasted as this time can be used for the development of their brain, letting them interact with other kids and playing with them.
- You need to teach some of the most important skills of life to your kids during the childhood phase such as creativity, language and social skills. If your kid is busy watching TV, there won’t be any time to teach him/her all these skills.
- According to a research, kids who are exposed to a lot of TV noise are not able to concentrate in daily activities and studies.
- Kids who watch a lot of TV daily are not able to pay attention to teachers and the lessons they are taught because they get accustomed to the fast paying scenes they watch on TV.
- If you kid is going to school, there are chances that he/she might watch cartoons instead of doing their homework.
Watching TV is very important if you are doing it the right way. Make sure you are around your kid when he/she watches TV so that you can tell them what is right to watch and what isn’t. We would love to hear your views about the importance of TV. Please use the comments section to connect with us.
- impact of television on children essay
- positive and negative effects of television
- good and bad effects of television essay
- positive and negative effects of television essay
- essay on television for kids
- essay on television does not have any positive impact on the child
- Essay on Influence of tv on children
- television does not have any positive impact on the child
- essay on impact of television on students
- impact of television essay